OB/GYN Overview

Residency

The KUSM-W OB-GYN program is a fully approved and accredited four-year residency program that has five residents at each level for a total of 20 residents. Approximately 85 percent of our graduating residents practice the specialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology, either in private or academic settings; the other 15 percent proceed to fellowship.

Obstetrics and Gynecology is like no other medical specialty. It blends the cognitive skills of Internal Medicine with the challenges of Surgery, allows for the subspecialty areas to blend with primary care skills and allows the physician to care for the complete patient.The University of Kansas School of Medicine–Wichita's Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program integrates education in the specialty with the service needed to develop and refine clinical and interpersonal skills. It also presents the opportunity to actively participate in state of the art clinical and biochemical research. The program prepares residents for private practice, academic pursuits, or subspecialty training.

The number of obstetric cases and deliveries available for residents to participate in consistently ranks above the 95th percentile nationally. Wesley Medical Center's Labor and Delivery unit features twenty state-of-the-art delivery suites with six antepartum rooms for outpatient obstetric evaluation. The labor and delivery unit in the main hospital is run by a first-year resident with supervision by a senior resident. The Wesley Birth Care Center, a free-standing birthing center, features twenty-one large labor and delivery suites managed by a second-year resident.

Residents operate in a number of gynecologic cases throughout the four years of training. Residents operate with forty-five faculty members including general OB-GYNs, reproductive endocrinologists, urogynecologists, perinatologists, and gynecologic oncologists.